Turning Clothing Scraps Into Reusable Makeup Remover Pads

   Makeup remover wipes are cheap, easy to use, and do the job they are supposed to do. I would be lying if I said I didn't appreciate the efficiency and practicability of a makeup remover wipe. But in the United States alone, over 20 million single-use makeup remover wipes are used a day (Trivedi, 2023). It appears these wipes are becoming a bit too convenient.

    As a user of these wipes myself, I never stopped to think about what makeup remover wipes are made of. I also haven't thought at all about what happens to my wipes when I toss them in the trash. This is just one daily-use product among many that are classified as single-use and are thrown out after only seconds of use. Additionally, these wipes take years to biodegrade and as they break down they create even more microplastics due to their ingredients (e.g., polyester, polypropylene, wood pulp, and/or rayon fibers) (Trivedi, 2023).

    On my journey to a path more sustainable, I began thinking about options for reusable makeup wipes. I saw plenty of options for reusable cotton pads advertised on Amazon. Many of their top products were at a reasonable price but I couldn't help but think: "Isn't this just adding to the textile waste problem by creating more and more products?" 

Amazon's top 4 product results for search: Reusable makeup remover pads

    In addition to my concerns about just adding to the problem, I also pondered on the idea of simply saving money. Why would I spend additional money on something as simple as a piece of cotton fabric? I was sure I had to have cotton material in my home already. I browsed through some of my old clothing pieces and even some older wash rags and decided to create my own reusable makeup remover pads. I was inspired by a craft I found on Pinterest and decided to make these makeup pads with my own twist.  My craft was inspired by the following DIY Craft by Violet, the author of the blog I Can Sew This: https://icansewthis.com/reusable-cotton-rounds/


    In Violet's craft materials list, it did require a sewing machine and since I did not have a sewing machine accessible at the time, I opted to hand-sew my materials. Additionally, Violet mentions some of the best materials to use include microfiber, terry cloth, bamboo velour, brushed cotton, jersey knits, fleece, and/or an old rag or towel. In my case, I took her advice and opted to use a cotton t-shirt and an old rag.

Below are the specific steps I utilized to create my reusable makeup remover pads:

Materials Utilized
circle template (drawn on a piece of paper –  4 1/4″ diameter)
fabric for the soft side: wash rag
fabric for the other side: cotton t-shirt 
sewing needle
sewing thread
fabric scissors
fabric marking pen

Step 1 - Trace circles and cut out your pieces:
Use your paper template and a fabric marking pen to trace circles on both your chosen fabric pieces (cotton and wash rag material), then cut them out with sewing scissors. You’ll need two fabric circles for each makeup pad since you will be sewing the two material choices together.

Step 2 – Sew the circle pieces together:
Next, match up two circles with the desired materials facing outside. Use your sewing kit (needle and thread) to begin sewing a simple straight stitch to connect your materials. 



The final product of my take on this craft.


    In my take on this craft, the durability of your reusable pads may not be as secure if you were to utilize a sewing machine like Violet did. However, the desired results come from both variations of this fast and easy DIY craft. You can create washable and reusable pads that can be used over and over again while making additional use of textile scraps in your home! 


References

Trivedi, M. (2023, January 31). Makeup Wipes – the environmental killer that's in your bathroom right now. Makeup Wipes – The Environmental Killer That's In Your Bathroom Right Now. Retrieved May 1, 2023, from https://ecoyouth.org/2023/01/31/makeup-wipes-the-environmental-killer-thats-in-your-bathroom-right-now/ 

Comments

Popular Posts